Telework is a popular flex work arrangement that extends the workplace beyond the traditional office, allowing employees to work from home or other remote location. Employers that have implemented telework programs cite benefits such as lower operating cost, improved employee relations, better recruitment and retention, lower absenteeism, and increased productivity.
Recruit & Retain
- According to the Society for Human Resource Management, providing flexible work arrangements is the most effective tactic in attracting, retaining, and rewarding the best employees.
- Telework programs reduce geographic boundaries and expand the talent pool.
- Workers with more flexible arrangements report higher levels of job satisfaction, more loyalty and commitment to their employers, and “high likelihoods” of remaining with their employers for the following year.*
- A Stanford University study found that employees who telework are 50% less likely to quit.
Good for your company, good for your employees
- Offering telework and flex work options demonstrates your company’s commitment to work-life balance and the wellbeing of your employees.
- Recent studies have established a positive relationship between flexible workplace arrangements and worker health.*
- Teleworking frees up an extra 38 hours per year a peak-period driver would spend in traffic as a result of highway congestion.*
- Telework offers an alternative that would otherwise keep parents and senior caregivers out of the workforce.
Boost Your Bottom Line
- Telework programs offer employers significant savings on real estate, electricity, absenteeism, turnover, and productivity. Such programs also offer inexpensive ADA compliance for disabled workers.
- Studies from Stanford University and the University of Minnesota have found teleworkers are 13% more productive than their in-office counterparts.
- The company in the Stanford study saved approximately $2,000 per year per teleworker.
- Organizations that implemented a telework program have realized a 63% reduction in unscheduled absences. **
- In the event of an emergency, telework policies can mean the difference between business continuityand business closure!
South Florida Commuter Services, a program of the Florida Department of Transportation, works with employers to identify telework and flex work program options. Our free services include:
- One-on-one support
- Policy and agreement recommendations
- Sample documents and case studies
- Program evaluation strategies
If you’re interested in exploring your options, please complete the following form and one of our outreach representatives will contact you.