13 Fun Facts about Carpooling
There are many fun and amazing facts about carpooling that many people do not know about. For example, did you know that….
- In some cities there are HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lanes, which are meant to be used only by those who are carpooling and are designed to make your commute time faster.
- Taking the HOV lane can cut your commute time down by as much as half.
- An average American spends 40 hours each year stuck in traffic.
- About 51% of the people who carpoolers are in the same family and 40% of people carpool with their apartment or flat mates.
- As much as 77% of carpoolers ride with just one other person.
- The average carpooler can cut out as much as $600 each month on the cost of their commuting drive.
- About 78% Americans drive to work without carpooling at all, which is part of a peculiar two decade-long decrease in carpooling.
- By carpooling just twice a week, 1,600 pounds of greenhouse gases can be kept out of the air each year.
- If 100 people were to take advantage of the carpool option every day, more than of 1,320 pounds of carbon monoxide and 2,376,000 pounds of carbon dioxide could be removed from the air.
- About 18% of a person’s monthly budget it taken up in car maintenance, repairs, and gas.
- If you add at least one carpooler whom you split costs with, it may add 5-10 minutes onto your drive time but will reduce your bills and expenses by half; adding more people means even more savings.
- Carpooling means fewer cars on the road each day which means less oil usage, and this can help reduce the nation’s dependency on foreign oil.
- If everyone opted to carpool just one day a week, the traffic on the nation’s major highways and roads would be reduced by as much as 20%.
For tips and idea son how to set up your carpooling circuit, to learn about even more benefits of non-traditional commute methods, or to ask questions from the experts, click here.